Monday, November 15, 2010

The Rise of the Flats



Japanese Geishas have been wearing getas for centuries already and finally we are getting a hint from them.  Its the end of an era of sky high heels and ankle breakers, and I could almost hear the rejoice of chronic flat shoe ladies -- enter the rise of the flats.  Seen during S/S2011 fashion shows, these babies showcase flat shoes with platforms, or coined as flatforms.   Pardon me, again?  Basically, you'll get all the added height without any of the pain and ongoing health problems associated with heels.  Interested?



Derek Lam


Personally, I'm one of those girls who will endure painstaking agony of squashed toes or burning balls of your feet cos I love the height I get from wearing them (5'1 just doesn't cut it) and the added confidence and oompff when wearing heels.  I call it "tiis-ganda" (sacrifice for beauty) and I have learned not to whine or winge whenever I choose to stomp the ground on more than 3inch heels else I get the lecture from DH telling me he already warned me before leaving the house: "Are you sure you will be wearing "those"?"
 
 Maison Martin Margiela

I still love my towering-torture-chambers but these flatforms may be my number two.  Where to wear them?  Just about anywhere and with everything!  But a couple of things come to mind --  Concerts!  Don't you hate being small and craning your neck or looking for the slightest crevice among the sea of people just so you can see Rihanna on stage, cos everybody else in front of you is taller?  Well you wouldn't mind wearing Margiela's wedge 5 hours straight up -- their flat, no aching feet here, and you get the added inches to tower over people.  Win-win.

 Fendi

I've never tried, well okay, I already have and I learned my lesson quickly -- I am not one for shopping in heels.  Never again will I try to go on a shopping spree in heels.  Well not along Orchard Road again!  The time I did, I survived the madness (and I didn't even buy spare cheap thongs just so I can take the heels off!) but I couldn't walk the next day.   No win.


Vivienne Westwood Anglomania + Melissa 

So what's your verdict?  Are you ready to jump aboard the flatform train, or is this one trend you'll say "no thank you!" to?  I already got my shopping list ready and will be scouring shoe shops until they  somebody here in Manila brings them in.  <3

 Robert Clergerie

Luvluv,
Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment